Sunday, May 15, 2011

The difference of identity and self-image

I learnt the difference between identity and self image today.

Self image is a self-given view of myself that is shaped by the things around me. Meaning, if I grew up fat, careless, lazy, and the world sees me and puts me down in that way, i will have those self image characteristics. Self image is easy to build up, and easy to be identified. Self image can also be destructive!

Identity on the other-hand is a god given status of my life. Some eg. I am a child of God. I am a
Man. I am loved by God. I am jesus's disciple. I am a leader at home and at work. I am the son at my parents house. Identity is the image which God has entrusted us with and would like us to project to live life the way He intended me to be.
Eg, If I am a child of God, God loves me very-very much. Since i am a leader at work and church, I am given the ability to inspire and encourage.

Our identities would be supplemented with talents a.k.a. Resources like time, money, relationships. Identities also comes with natural gifting, and anointment. Gifting such as natural abilities to do something extra ordinary that will suit and fill what we are suppose to be doing. Anointment covers the part where God will bless and empower us in the place we are living the identity and using those talents and gifting.

In my life, I realized that my identity as a child of God, blessed with wonderful relationships, gifted with computers and teaching, sometimes makes me wonder what in the world am I doing in Singapore. Nonetheless, I believe that everything has their time and place, plus, I always believe that we simply need be prepared. God will direct the paths. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: