Thursday, October 30, 2008

Learning About What I Am Worth

I learnt today that there are 2 kinds of people being paid in this world:
  1. One who gets paid for what he deserves
  2. One who gets paid for how hard he works
In where I stay, first kind of payee is the most blessed. The second, is more fair and worthwhile.
I have always believed in working hard and working smart. However, I do feel that the society in which I live in does not permit such kind of lives. Sadly, but true. It seems that in this society, image/credentials, are what defines credibility, which in turn, creates a certain value that is not even ascertained.

People with a degree, are honored above other credentials, and even though one who works harder and more skillful are producing more worth than their keep, they are valued lesser than their degree and less productive equivalent.

Perhaps the problem is with my desire to achieve more and yet restrained by what I have and worth. However so, I do believe that the driving factor which fuels the desire for my society to get a university degree is such generalization; a degree student is worth/better valued than any other credentials.

I do not think I am envious, rather I felt sad that academic is now appreciated for it's monetary returns in which our society embraces. If you're studious, you'll be productive, therefore you're worth more. Long gone are the days where academics are for those who are passionate in the art of learning and sharing. Thankfully, there are minutes who are still living such lives.

If I have my options, one who contributes the most, draws the most. When will we ever be able to retire? I guess when I start to own a few buildings/properties and renting them out...
I shall leave it for another lesson I need to learn. :)

No comments: